Friday, October 26, 2012

This is the End?

    Absalom, Absalom! is hard to relate to. I have never lived in the South nor have I been involved in war or a disintegrating family and plantation. I haven't had to deal with a disrespectful father or an old man trying to use me. What I can relate to, though, is the feeling I was left with after finishing the book. That feeling of knowing it is all over, but still expecting more. Essentially, a cliffhanger. This book left me wondering what was going to happen with Jim Bond; is he going to try to continue this corrupt legacy or just hide in the woods until his dying day? I don't know. What I do know, however, is that I have had this exact same feeling of having one hundred questions and no answers in my real life. 
     Every time anything comes to an end in my life, I don't feel like it is completely over. I hold on to hope that there is still something there whether it be with a person's or a pet's death or the end of a relationship. Even if I don't want anything to be left, even if all I truly want is it to be all over and done with, I have major issues shaking the feeling that it's just not over. Sometimes, this feeling just goes away after I accept the fact that that person or pet is not coming back; but sometimes it doesn't. All I want is to completely let go of my last relationship. Looking back on it, I can see how awful it was. I don't regret it, I learned many things from it, but I'm ready to move on with my life. Yet, there's still something there. Some nagging feeling of unfinished business. Granted, it has recently started to slowly disappear, it is still there. I have questions of what really happened in certain situations with this guy but I know I'll never get an answer, just like I still have questions about Jim Bond. I know, though, that if I just let things go without a second thought, I wouldn't be Sydney Foote. I need to second guess myself and over think every little detail before anything can truly be done. This can only happen in time, though, just like I, and Quentin and Shreve, will just have to wait until we all forget about Jim Bond, or until he comes up on the radar once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment